Connect with us

A man whose trial over the 1982 IRA bombing in London’s Hyde Park collapsed has been arrested on suspicion of murdering two soldiers in Northern Ireland in 1972.

John Downey, 66, was detained by Irish officers in County Donegal under a European Arrest Warrant as part of a joint operation with the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

He is expected to appear at Dublin high court on Tuesday afternoon.

Downey is wanted for questioning in Northern Ireland, suspected of killing Lance Corporal Alfred Johnston, 32, and Private James Eames, 33, in County Fermanagh.

They died when an IRA bomb exploded in a car they were checking on the Irvinestown Road in Cherrymount, Enniskillen on 25 August 1972.

In 2013, Downey was charged with murdering four Royal Household Cavalrymen in a bomb attack in Hyde Park in 1982.

Hyde Park bombing
Image:
Wrecked cars after the Hyde Park bombing in 1982

Trooper Simon Tipper, 19, Lance Corporal Jeffrey Young, 19, Squadron Quartermaster Corporal Roy Bright, 36, and Lieutenant Anthony Daly, 23, died as they made their way from their Kensington barracks to a Changing Of The Guard ceremony at Horse Guards Parade.

Downey stood trial at the Old Bailey in 2014, but the case dramatically collapsed after it was revealed he had received a written assurance from former prime minister Tony Blair’s government that he was not actively wanted by the authorities.

The letter was issued under the terms of the controversial On The Runs (OTRs) scheme.

Trial judge Mr Justice Sweeney ruled Mr Downey’s arrest at Gatwick Airport, as he transited the UK on the way to a holiday, represented an abuse of process and he put a stay on any future prosecution in relation to the Hyde Park case.

The episode sparked a government inquiry into the OTR scheme.

Mr Downey has always denied any involvement in the Hyde Park attack.

Source link

Latest News

Five people killed in shooting at Florida bank | US News

Published

on

Five people have been killed at a bank in Florida after a gunman opened fire.

The gunman, identified as Zephan Xaver, 21, called police after firing shots inside the SunTrust bank in Sebring, Florida, and eventually surrendered.

Karl Hoglund, Sebring police chief, said the shooting happened at about 12.30pm ET (17.30GMT).

Xaver called police to tell them he had fired shots, according to authorities.

Negotiators failed to convince him to leave the bank, at which point the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team entered the building and continued to speak to him.

He surrendered and is in custody. His motive is not clear.

Mr Hoglund said: “Today has been a tragic day in our community.

“We’ve suffered significant loss at the hands of a senseless criminal doing a senseless crime.”

No information has been released about the victims.

CNN reported there had been no danger to the surrounding areas.

Ron DeSantis, Florida governor, said he was asking the state department of law enforcement to help local police.

Sue Malliano, a spokesman for the SunTrust bank, said: “We are working closely with officials and seeking to take care of everyone affected at our Sebring, Florida branch.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Troops return to Bulawayo with a vengeance | World News

Published

on

A week of protest, violence and national trauma in Zimbabwe began last week in the country’s second largest city, Bulawayo.

It was here on the morning of 14 January that protesters took to the streets after President Emerson Mnangagwa’s administration raised fuel prices by 150%.

Seized with fury, demonstrators blocked roads and occupied neighbourhoods – and their protests would lead to city-wide looting and rioting.

Shops and business in large swathes of the city were destroyed or stripped bare. I asked the owner of one supermarket in an area called Nkeita what had happened to the police.

“They came late, they were late. Everything was gone when they got here,” he replied.

Business owners told me that they were abandoned by the police and the army for the first three or four days.

Former MP David Coltart thinks the authorities hand over Bulawayo to thugs
Image:
Former MP David Coltart thinks the authorities handed over Bulawayo to thugs

Government critics, like lawyer and former opposition MP David Coltart, think that the authorities decided to hand over this independent-minded community to thugs and criminal elements.

More from Emmerson Mnangagwa

“I have seen the destruction of food outlets on an industrial scale.

“Having represented the people of Bulawayo for many years, I cannot believe the people themselves would have done this because they would have harmed themselves.

“Some 80% of food outlets in working class areas were destroyed. The capacity of these businesses to open again was effectively ended.”

Mass protests and violence in Zimbabwe started in the second largest city, Bulawayo
Image:
Mass protests and violence in Zimbabwe started in the second largest city, Bulawayo

Zimbabwe’s president promised to prosecute members of the army or the police who were found guilty of misconduct.

Yet it is members of the public in Bulawayo who are now being rounded up and arrested as the authorities re-assert their control in the city.

Lawyers told us 500 people have been detained in the past few days. The city’s prisons, “are packed like sardines,” said one.

Noxola Maphosa's brother was arrested for trying to organise a protest but they keep trying to delay the trial date
Image:
Noxola Maphosa’s brother was arrested for trying to organise a protest but they keep trying to delay the trial date

We found one woman called Noxolo Maphosa, outside the city’s stately magistrate’s court, carrying a toothbrush and some basic suppliers for her brother, Josephat.

Josephat Ngulube ran as a candidate in the last election but he was arrested over the weekend for trying to organise a protest.

“Now I don’t know what is going to happen to him,” said Ms Maphosa.

“I am just waiting for them to tell us what is going to happen but I don’t have hope. I thought we would get a trial date today but they keep on postponing. I am losing hope.”

The police and the members of the military are back on the streets and they are making their presence felt.

I heard and saw evidence of systematic raids and beatings carried out in the city’s suburbs.

Residents in an area called Marbutweni told us that troops turned up after 8pm on Tuesday and went door to door, administering beatings to men over the age of 14.

Clive showed the bruises from being beaten by troops
Image:
Clive showed his bruises from being beaten by troops
Clive said the troops asked him where he was coming from and nine men beat him with batons and more
Image:
Clive said the troops asked him where he was coming from and nine men beat him with batons and more

A resident called Clive showed us a series of blue marks and bruises covering his back, then turned around to address us in a quivering voice.

“I met those guys. ‘Where you coming from?’ (they said).

“I said ‘I am going home. It is after dark’.

“(They said) lie down and then nine guys were hitting me. Baton sticks and everything. Come on, is this Zimbabwe?”

We were given more testimony from a man called John, whose face was badly swollen.

“I was asking, ‘what did I do wrong?’ But they were continuously beating me and I don’t know what to do now because I am scared,” he told us.

These are arbitrary and unjustified attacks in a country led by a man – Emerson Mnangagwa – who is trying to sell it as a modern democracy. The people of Bulawayo are unlikely to forgive.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Crowds defy police to cry out for change in Venezuela | World News

Published

on

The crashing sounds of pots and pans being banged together on the streets of neighbourhoods across Caracas signalled the start of a day of demonstrations against the Venezuelan government.

They had promised thousands would be out on the streets across the country; but only the very optimistic dreamed of the size of the turn out following the opposition’s call for action.

From all over the capital tens of thousands at first, then hundreds of thousands, ignored the intimidation tactics of the security services to gather with one voice.

For mile after mile a river of humanity marched along motorways, over bridges and jammed themselves on the underground heading for the city centre.

Men, women and children of all ages and all classes, swathed in Venezuelan flags and colours, moved together, shouting out their calls for freedom and liberation.

Venezuelans cover their noses and mouths as protests continue
Image:
Venezuelans cover their noses and mouths as protests continue

The streets of downtown were filled with throngs of people. Jubilant that after waiting months, if not years, to gather again like this they finally had.

The numbers were so large and so dense no cars could move. We criss-crossed the city on motorcycles, the only viable source of transport, to track the movement of people from all corners of Caracas.

A protester carries a sign reading 'Maduro, illegitimate, dictator get out!' in Guatemala, outside the Venezuelan embassy
Image:
A protester carries a sign reading ‘Maduro, illegitimate, dictator get out!’ in Guatemala, outside the Venezuelan embassy

Even the poorest areas, the beating heart of the country’s socialist government set up by Hugo Chavez, emptied as people joined the demonstrations.

The Chavez dream of a utopian socialist society is a distant memory now. The country is broke, inflation over a million percent, the currency worthless and government supermarkets empty of food and almost everything else.

In one of the city’s main squares thousands upon thousands gathered to see their hero, the speaker of the national assembly, Juan Guaido. He did not disappointment them.

For the first time he openly declared himself the country’s interim president. The crowd exploded with a roar of support. Nobody had expected such a bold step. He is now directly challenging the authority of Nicolas Maduro, his government and the military that props them up.

Riot police fire at demonstrators in Caracas
Image:
Riot police fire at demonstrators in Caracas

Leaving the stage he was mobbed as the crowds surged around him, minders struggling to keep people back. As he passed I was squashed against a wall by the tide of people.

 Juan Guaido proclaims himself president of Venezuela
Image:
Juan Guaido proclaims himself president of Venezuela

The 35-year-old has charisma and he has galvanised the people. He also has the special gift of doing the right thing, stopping to help lift a woman who had fallen over the in push. He helped her up and kissed her cheeks. She seemed utterly overwhelmed as she thanked him. The crowd went crazy.

A woman celebrates after Mr Guaido declares himself interim president
Image:
A woman celebrates after Mr Guaido declares himself interim president

“They needed a messiah,” our Venezuelan producer Gustavo whispered to me. “Now they have one.”

All around me people chanted “President, President!”

“Now is the time” a group of men and women chanted, “We want change, we want freedom.”



Juan Guaido told followers they would need the support of all Venezuelans







Donald Trump recognises Venezuela’s opposition leader Juan Guaido as President

Mr Guaido’s supporters say the end is coming for the old guard but Mr Maduro’s government still supported by the police and the military will fight back.

Within minutes of Mr Guaido’s announcement, it began.

A protester burns a motorcycle during clashes with the security forces
Image:
A protester burns a motorcycle during clashes with the security forces

As the police moved in to break up the demonstration crowds of people began fighting back.

They dragged anything they could find onto the streets to protect them from rubber bullets. Clouds of choking tear gas filled the air as volley after volley was fired into the protesters.

The head of Venezuela's Constituent Assembly and right-hand man of President Nicolas Maduro, Diosdado Cabello, speaks to a crowd of government supporters
Image:
The head of Venezuela’s Constituent Assembly and right-hand man of President Nicolas Maduro, Diosdado Cabello, speaks to a crowd of government supporters

They began smashing up paving stones, gathering the rocks, throwing them at the security services.

The crowds swayed backwards and forwards as the police repositioned themselves; making charges into the protesters attempting to snatch the stone throwers. Near stampedes ebbed and flowed as thousands attempted to hold their ground while trying to escape the choking gas.

Mile after mile of protesters in the streets in Caracas
Image:
Mile after mile of protesters in the streets in Caracas

Fires were started in the middle of the city streets. Scaffolding and signposts ripped down to throw at the advancing police supported with armoured cars and water cannon.

It was always going to be like this. President Maduro has no choice. The momentum is with the opposition now, but it is unlikely to be the end of the regime quite yet.

The opposition says they have been warming the streets. They are on fire now.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending