The body of a second British woman to go missing in Jamaica has been found as police investigate three murders in two weeks.
Barbara Findley, who moved to Jamaica from Kensington five years ago, was reported missing at the end of November.
Police found her body on the side of a road on Wednesday, according to The Times.
Ms Findley, who described herself as a photographer and stylist, was found by a car wash manager in woodland not far from her home.
She is understood to have one daughter, who lives in Britain.
It comes soon after the disappearance of Karen Cleary, a 44-year-old woman from London who was in Jamaica building her dream home.
A man who claimed to be her partner, Andy Kane, travelled to the island to help police find her, and said her body had been found in the garden of her home in St Mary.
Now, Ken Brown, who says he is Karen Cleary’s husband, says a man has confessed to her murder and has led police to the grave he dug.
Mr Brown – who says Mr Kane was just a friend of Ms Cleary – said: “I am just devastated. She was building a dream home, we had planned this wonderful life together.
“She was coming back in January and then we were going to go for a big holiday around Thailand – the future was rosy.”
He said the dig to recover her body took several hours, as the killer had buried her deep, put tarpaulin over the body and poured concrete on top.
He claims police told him a confession was vital, because sniffer dogs could never have found her body.
A third woman, Nancy Hardy, 72, from Florida, was also found dead on the island – discovered in a shallow grave in a town near where she lived.
Police identified her body on 29 November.
Her daughter, Chandra Hardy, told the Daily Hampshire Gazette: “She was an extraordinary human being, fiercely independent and truly eccentric.”
British man and French companion missing from popular beach in Australia | World News
A British man has gone missing from a popular beach north of Sydney in Australia.
Police have begun searching for 20-year-old Hugo Palmer and his friend, Frenchman Erwan Ferrieux, also 20, after their belongings were found by early morning walkers at around 6.30am local time on Monday at Shelley Beach, New South Wales.
Police later discovered their rental car in the beach’s car park with a number of personal items, including travel documents, inside.
It is not known how long they had been in Australia.
New South Wales Police said a water and ground search was underway, but that there had not yet been any sign of the pair.
Hugo is described as being of Caucasian appearance, with fair hair, 180cm (5’11) tall and of athletic build.
Erwan has dark hair, brown eyes, a tanned complexion and is between 175-180cm tall.
A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said: “Our staff are in contact with police in Australia and the UK following reports of a missing British man at Shelly beach, New South Wales.”
New York City vows to end hairstyle discrimination after ‘racist stereotypes’ | US News
New guidelines have been introduced in New York City to stop hairstyle discrimination.
Employers have been warned they could face legal action for banning styles associated with black people, such as afros, dreadlocks or corn rows, or for instructing black workers to straighten their hair.
Numerous schools until now have banned dreadlocks, afros and other hairstyles.
The legal guidance says existing human rights law protects New Yorkers’ right to “maintain natural hair or hairstyles that are closely associated with their racial, ethnic or cultural identities”.
Although the protections apply to everyone, they were prompted mainly by “racist stereotypes that black hairstyles are unprofessional”, the NYC Commission on Human Rights said.
The commission’s chairwoman Carmelyn P Malalis tweeted after releasing the guidelines: “Hair is a part of you. Race discrimination based on hair is illegal in NYC.”
The guidance in effect enables people to take companies and organisations to court if they have been harassed or punished in workplaces, schools or public spaces because of their hair texture or style.
However, hair nets and bands can still be required for health and safety reasons.
In December, a white referee sparked uproar when he told a black New Jersey high school wrestler to cut his dreadlocks before a match or forfeit it.
Although the teenager had his hair cut, many criticised the demand, including the state’s governor and an Olympic wrestler.
Last year, the Supreme Court refused to hear a discrimination case involving a black Alabama woman who said she was sacked from her job because she refused to cut her dreadlocks.
An appeal found in favour of the employer and said federal law protects people from discrimination based on “immutable characteristics, but not their cultural practices”.
New York City’s human rights law is distinct from federal anti-discrimination law.
Ms Malalis said: “There’s nothing keeping us from calling out these policies prohibiting natural hair or hairstyles most closely associated with black people.”
Scraping for food to survive: Inside the frontline of Yemen’s devastating civil war | World News
Yemen’s warring parties have agreed to withdraw their forces from Hodeidah – providing fresh hope for the fragile ceasefire in the city.
No timeline has been announced for the withdrawal – it was originally scheduled for last month.
But Sky News has been told by forces who are reporting daily violations that the ceasefire agreement could collapse at any time.
An agreement was reached between Yemen’s UN-recognised government and their rivals – the Houthis – at the end of last year.
And amid this grinding war a desperate population struggling to survive is scraping in the dirt for whatever handouts they can get.
Sky News gained rare access to Hodeidah by travelling along Yemen’s west coast.
We were taken to the Red Sea Flour Mills on the edge of the city.
The front line position is now controlled by the coalition – inside the stores the grain is spoiling in the heat.
Aid agencies say although the fighting has paused they can’t cross the front lines to access the supplies.
Under the agreement of the new talks this should change and access should be allowed but confidence and trust between the two sides remains low.
The UN says the grain is enough to feed 3.7 million people for a month – vital food in a country where 10 million people are on the brink of famine.
Emirati forces claim it is the Houthis, who are less than a kilometre away, who are blocking distribution.
They have been accused of shelling the grain silos so that one was set alight and is still burning several weeks later.
The Houthis have meanwhile accused the coalition of violating the agreement.
The break in the fighting between the Iran-backed rebels and the Saudi-led coalition is the only flicker of hope for Yemen.
It is place where light no longer shines – famine and starvation stalk the population.
At a field hospital near Hodeidah the medical staff are barely coping – the place is full of sick and hungry children.
Some 13 days after she was admitted, Bashira is still struggling to breathe.
The one-year-old’s tiny lungs are weak from lack of food.
Dr Faris Ali Abdu Shami says she’s one of the lucky ones.
“The situation is so bad. And there is not enough support like drugs, food, milk that children like her need,” he says.
I ask him what happens to children like Bashira who don’t get help.
“They will die,” he replies.
The war erupted out of an Arab Spring uprising.
But the conflict cannot be resolved through military might – the coalition believes controlling the main commercial port will clinch victory and restore Yemen’s internationally recognised government.
The path to a political settlement will not be easy – the roads are littered with IEDs and landmines.
Emirati forces are clearing and destroying them every day but even if the latest talks are successful the risk of further violence is great.
We were shown 1,200 anti-tank mines and 396 IEDs collected from various locations along the west coast of Yemen.
They were taken to the town of Mocha and destroyed.
But for now the stalemate remains and it is delicate.
Both sides have agreed to withdrawal measures but because the issue is so sensitive no timeline has been agreed.
If the negotiations fail, the lull in the fighting may not last much longer and the disaster of a full-scale offensive on Hodeidah may become reality.
The UK welcomed the agreement but urged all sides in the conflict to continue working together.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: “The UK welcomes progress made on agreeing redeployment of troops from Hodeidah by the government of Yemen and the Houthis this weekend.
“This encouraging progress represents a significant step forward in the political process. But more careful work remains to be done.
“The UK urges all parties to continue to work with the UN Special Envoy to rapidly finalise and implement the agreed plan.
“As the foreign secretary re-emphasised alongside UAE, US and Saudi Arabian foreign ministers at the Yemen Quad in Warsaw, a political settlement remains the only way to bring long-term stability to Yemen and to address the worsening humanitarian crisis.
“The Yemeni parties must engage constructively and in good faith to overcome obstacles and find a political solution to end the conflict.”
Latest News1 week ago
Police threaten to put live snake in suspect’s mouth during interrogation | World News
Politics1 week ago
Adam Schiff steps into Trump’s line of fire
Politics7 days ago
Booker pitches 2020 ‘unity’ message
Latest News6 days ago
Drug kingpin El Chapo set to be locked up in ‘Alcatraz of the Rockies’ | World News
Politics1 week ago
Brexit SHOWDOWN: May TEARS APART Corbyn’s soft Brexit demands – Labour plan 'NOT clear'
World1 week ago
China’s 2019 consumption growth to slow further: commerce ministry
World1 week ago
UK 2018 economic growth weakest since 2012, as Brexit and global worries weigh
World1 week ago
Egypt’s President Sisi pushes toward term extensions in constitution