Connect with us

A former US marine detained in Russia on suspicion of spying is innocent and was attending a wedding in Moscow, his family has said.

Paul Whelan, 48, was arrested in Moscow on Friday 28 December “while carrying out an act of espionage”, according to the country’s FSB security service.

His family has denied the accusation amid the lack of a detailed legal complaint from the Russian Federation and little response to the situation from the US state department.

In a tweet from his twin brother David, his family explained: “Paul is a retired marine and was visiting Moscow to attend a wedding.”

Their statement continued: “We noticed that he was not in communication on the 28th, which was very much out of character for him even when he was travelling.

“We learned of his arrest on Monday morning after his detention was picked up on newswires and have contacted congressional representatives, the US embassy, and the state department.

“We are deeply concerned for his safety and well-being. His innocence is undoubted and we trust that his rights will be respected.”

The arrest comes at a low point in relations between many Western states and Russia following several spying controversies.

US authorities have accused Russia of interfering in the 2016 presidential election and earlier this month convicted Maria Butina of acting as an illegal foreign agent.

Prosecutors said she sought to develop ties with the Republican Party with the aim of influencing US foreign policy.

Russian agents were also accused of being behind the poisoning of former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Salisbury earlier this year. Russia denied the claims.

According to reported interviews with the family, Mr Whelan had repeatedly visited to Russia in the past.

He is currently employed as director of the corporate security team for an American car components supplier called BorgWarner.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Mueller report: Putin ready to improve US ties after Trump cleared of collusion | US News

Published

on

Vladimir Putin is ready to improve ties with the US after Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign was cleared of colluding with Russia, the Kremlin has said.

Russia’s foreign ministry has called on the US to formally recognise the findings of the long-awaited Mueller investigation after Mr Trump said he had “complete and total exoneration”.

Responding to the special counsel report, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russia had never interfered in elections in other countries and “doesn’t intend to do so”.

Vladmir Putin is ready to improve ties with the US, the Kremlin says
Image:
Vladmir Putin is ready to improve ties with the US, the Kremlin says

He added: “It’s hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if it isn’t there.”

Mr Peskov said it was now up to the US to make the first move in improving relations with Russia, telling reporters: “The ball is absolutely in their court.”

Special counsel Robert Mueller spent almost two years examining alleged Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election, bringing charges against 34 people and three Russian companies.

A summary of his main findings was released on Sunday which said there was no evidence that Mr Trump’s campaign “conspired or coordinated” with Russia.

The report does not exonerate the president of obstruction of justice, the US Justice Department said.

However, the summary, sent by the US Attorney General William Barr to members of Congress, said there was not enough evidence to prove charges of obstruction.



President Donald Trump reacts to the Mueller findings







Trump claims ‘complete and total exoneration’

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Mr Trump will let Mr Barr decide whether the full report should be publicly released after calls from high-profile Democrats, adding the president was “more than happy for any of this stuff to come out”.

After the release of Mr Mueller’s findings, Mr Trump wrote on Twitter: “No Collusion, No Obstruction, Complete and Total EXONERATION. KEEP AMERICA GREAT!”

He also tweeted several quotes from news reports about the investigation on Monday, including one that said it had found “no Trump-Russia conspiracy”.

Former FBI director James Comey, who headed the investigation before being fired by Mr Trump in May 2017, tweeted an image of himself in a forest surrounded by trees with the caption: “So many questions.”

Republican senator Lindsey Graham replied to the tweet, writing: “Could not agree more. See you soon,” implying Mr Comey may be called before Congress in the near future.



Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Congo ebola epidemic becomes second worst outbreak ever | World News

Published

on

The ebola epidemic crippling parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo has now exceeded 1,000 cases, making it the second worst outbreak in history.

In a statement, the Congolese health ministry revealed that the total number affected stood at 1,009, with the numbers of people killed having climbed to 629.

New technologies including a trial vaccine, experimental treatments and mobile units for looking after patients had raised hopes that medics would be better equipped to cope, but security issues have hampered the response.

Two medical staff walk with a man in the Ebola treatment area of Bunia
Image:
Some centres set up to treat patients have been attacked by armed assailants

Five centres set up to treat those with the disease have been attacked since last month, sometimes by armed assailants, which forced a French medical charity to suspend its activities in eastern areas that are most badly affected.

Last December, Sky News visited a similar centre set up in the city of Beni, where 200 health workers were tasked with treating those admitted.

They erected a series of innovative, air-conditioned tents to house and treat the most serious cases, but there is no cure for the disease, which kills more than half of those it infects.

More than 190 have died during this outbreak
Image:
Efforts are ongoing to contain the spread of the viral disease

It has since become the second deadliest ebola outbreak of all-time, behind an unprecedented crisis in West Africa that killed more than 11,000 people between 2013 and 2016.

More from Democratic Republic Of Congo

There are fears that the Congo outbreak could still spread further, with authorities confirming a case last week in the northeastern city of Bunia, which is home to almost one million people.

The disease, which causes severe vomiting, diarrhoea and bleeding, is thought to be able to move across vast distances due to it being carried by bats.

The site is run by a  French medical charity called ALIMA
Image:
It has since become the second deadliest ebola outbreak ever

Large gaps between outbreaks can be explained by the likelihood that ebola-carrying bats move around and will only occasionally come into the kind of contact with people that leads to infection.

But as they are extremely social animals, the potential for the disease to spread from bat to bat – and potentially to other animals that could come into contact with humans – is very high.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Emiliano Sala contract not legally binding, Cardiff to tell FIFA | UK News

Published

on

Cardiff City will tell world football’s governing body FIFA that the contract to sign Emiliano Sala from Nantes was not legally binding.

The Welsh club have refused to pay the £15m transfer fee for the striker, who was killed in a plane crash two months ago.

Ligue 1 outfit Nantes have complained to FIFA, and Premier League side Cardiff have until 3 April to respond.

The 28-year-old Argentinian died, along with pilot David Ibbotson, when the Piper Malibu aircraft they were travelling in came down in the English Channel on 21 January, two days after the Welsh club made him their record signing “subject to international clearance”.

Emiliano Sala
Image:
Sala died aged 28 in a plane crash

Cardiff have refused to pay the first £5m instalment of the Sala transfer fee.

It is understood Cardiff will argue that Sala’s contract had been rejected by the Premier League because it contravened signing-on fee rules and was therefore ‘null and void’.

He had been unable to sign a revised deal before his death.

The club will also claim that further contract clauses – proposed by Nantes – had not been met.

Without these clauses being fulfilled, Cardiff will argue Sala was perfectly entitled to join another club with more than a week of the January transfer market remaining.

Nantes say they are fully compliant with FIFA rules and point to the fact that FIFA registered the international transfer certificate on 21 January, 2019 at 5.30pm.

A Cardiff spokesperson said: “The club is aware of FIFA’s request for a response by 3 April and is processing that accordingly. We have no further comment at this stage.”

Separately, Cardiff City has denied claims it failed to offer Emiliano Sala suitable travel arrangements before his ill-fated flight to the UK.

In a statement the club said: “Cardiff City FC strongly rejects the claim that it neglected to provide Mr Sala with travel arrangements.

“Our club was in the process of organising a commercial flight for Mr Sala until this offer was declined owing to separate arrangements being made – the planning and specifics of which Cardiff was not privy to.

“Cardiff has serious concerns over the potential unlawfulness of the journey following information that has been released. Clearly more answers as to the details surrounding this terrible tragedy are required.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending