Connect with us

Footage has emerged for the first time of the moment Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested in Iran in April 2016.

The video, which was broadcast on Iranian state TV, shows the British-Iranian detainee pushing a baggage cart along at the Imam Khomeini International Airport in Tehran before handing her passport over to an unidentified man.

He asks the mother-of-one for her name and whether she has all her luggage, and she is then questioned inside a room at the airport by a representative of the public prosecutor, who tells her he has an arrest warrant.

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested in Iran in 2016
Image:
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested in Iran in 2016

“The investigating magistrate has issued an arrest warrant for you and you are barred from leaving the country,” he can be heard saying in Farsi.

“You must go with us to the magistrate’s office and there he will arraign you on your charges. Your problem has to be handled this way.”

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who turned 40 on Boxing Day, is then heard saying she will speak to her mother about her arrest and tell her that she is being held “for unclear reasons”.

The footage ends with her checking her clothes and backpack and being taken to a car.










0:43

Video:
Hunt: Iran should permanently release Nazanin

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, from Hampstead, north London, was later charged over claims that she was “plotting to overthrow the Iranian regime”.

She had been in Iran to visit her family for Nowruz, the Persian New Year festival, with her young daughter.

Press TV, the state-owned and controlled English and French language Iranian news channel, later claimed she was involved in “plans for regime change in Iran”.

She was convicted last year, despite her denials.

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is reunited with her daughter after being granted a temporary release from prison
Image:
Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was reunited with her daughter after being granted a temporary release from prison last year

The release of the footage comes a week after Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe announced she was planning to go on a hunger strike this month over her treatment in prison

She said she was going to protest alongside prominent human rights activist Narges Mohammadi over being denied access to a doctor and medication.

In a joint letter with Ms Mohammadi, who has been charged several times over her criticism of the Iranian government, she said: “We are urging for an immediate action to be taken.”

The hunger strike, due to start on 14 January, is set to last for three days but could go on for longer.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, who is campaigning for Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe to be released, tweeted: “Nazanin is innocent and must be allowed to come home.

“How can the Iranian authorities allow an innocent mother to feel she needs to resort to this, simply for justice and access to medical care?”

More from Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe has threatened to take such action before, following her temporary release from her prison cell in the Iranian capital last summer.

Husband Richard Ratcliffe has previously revealed that his wife has suffered several panic attacks in jail, which left her with numbness in her legs and headaches.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Man jailed for sharing footage of Christchurch mosque shooting | World News

Published

on

A man has been jailed in New Zealand for sharing footage of the al Noor Mosque attack.

Christchurch businessman Philip Neville Arps had admitted two charges of distributing an objectionable publication after the shootings.

On Tuesday he was jailed for 21 months, with a judge saying he had “glorified” the shootings.

Fifty-one Muslims died after being shot as they attended Friday prayers at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in March.

The al Noor shooting was streamed on Facebook.

Arps, among 13 people charged regarding the attack material, distributed the video to approximately 30 people on the social networking site, the court heard.

The second charge related to him asking another person to add crosshairs and a “kill count” to the video, intending to use this as a meme.

He was arrested days after the shootings and has been kept in solitary confinement since then.

In comments reported by the NZ Herald, Judge Stephen O’Driscoll said on Tuesday that Arps, 44, had “strong and unrepentant views towards the Muslim community”.

People march to remember the victims of the Christchurch mosque shootings
Image:
New Zealand was praised for its show of unity after the shootings

The court heard that Arps, who runs what was described as an insulation company that has used neo-Nazi imagery, showed “particular cruelty” in sharing the footage the day after the attack.

A pre-sentence report said Arps showed no remorse or empathy for any of those affected.

Judge O’Driscoll said some parts of the pre-sentence report were concerning but he did not mention them publicly, wary of Arps considering them a “badge of honour”.

The judge did, however, say that Arps had once compared himself to Nazi war criminal Rudolf Hess and that the report said he was a high risk of re-offending.

According to TVNZ, Arps faces six months of strict conditions after he completes his sentence.

These include psychiatric assessments, drug and alcohol treatment and a ban on using the internet.

Facebook, the world’s largest social media platform, has been criticised for being slow to take down footage of the attacks, which was deemed objectionable by New Zealand’s Chief Censor.

Along with other social media, Facebook has long been under pressure to do more about hateful and abusive posts.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Toronto Raptors: Two injured in shooting at victory parade for NBA champions | World News

Published

on

Two people have been injured in a shooting at a victory parade for the Toronto Raptors basketball team, police have said. 

Tweets from people attending the parade at Nathan Philips Square said they heard several gunshots, which sparked a stampede from the crowd.

Canadian journalist Diana Weeks said she heard four shots in total, but “thought they were fireworks”.

She added: “I don’t even know what to say right now.”

“Started running for our lives. This is not Toronto. Children crying… ppl running.”

Videos of the incident showed people running to exit the square as the incident unfolded.

Toronto police said the victims’ injuries were “serious but not life threatening”, and that two people had been arrested.

Two firearms have also been recovered.

The Toronto Raptors were aboard five double-decker buses as they paraded through the city
Image:
The Toronto Raptors were aboard five double-decker buses as they paraded through the city

More than a million people had lined the streets on Monday to celebrate the Raptors’ – and Canada’s – first ever NBA championship win.

The team was paraded aboard five double-decker buses through the city, before coming to an end at the square.

Several public figures delivered speeches, including Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Mr Trudeau, Toronto’s mayor and Raptors player Kawhi Leonard remained on stage as the incident unfolded, and resumed celebrations shortly after.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Teenager survives after 10in blade narrowly misses his brain | World News

Published

on

Surgeons have told a 15-year-old Kansas boy who got a 10in knife embedded in his skull when he fell on it that he was within millimetres of death.

The knife narrowly missed Eli Gregg’s brain with the tip pushing against his carotid artery, which supplies the brain with blood.

Eli Gregg’s brain scan
Image:
The tip of the blade was pushing against his carotid artery

Dr Koji Ebersole, who oversaw the removal, said: “It could not have had a pound more force on it and him survive that event.

“I don’t think he would have survived it.”

Eli’s mum Russell said her son was playing in the garden on Thursday when she heard him scream.

She found him with the large knife jutting out from just below his eye.

Eli Gregg’s brain scan
Image:
Within 24 hours of the surgery, Eli was able to talk

“It looked pretty grim, it was scary,” she said.

Within 24 hours of the surgery, Eli was able to talk and make light of the situation.

His mum added: “He says he is going to stay away from sharp objects.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending