Connect with us

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

 / Updated 

By Allan Smith and Ali Vitali

DES MOINES — Billionaire Tom Steyer, a major Democratic donor who has led a crusade to impeach President Donald Trump, said Wednesday that he will not seek the party’s 2020 presidential nomination.

The news was first reported by The New York Times and confirmed by NBC News. He was set to make the announcement in Iowa.

A California billionaire and former hedge fund chieftain, Steyer is one of the Democratic Party’s most prominent donors and a major champion of climate change action. In recent months, he has focused his efforts on “Need to Impeach,” his group aimed at building momentum to impeach Trump.

“I will do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, to remove a president,” Steyer told reporters on Wednesday. “Not because I disagree with his policies…but because the people must do what our elected officials have been unable and unwilling to do: Hold President Trump accountable.”

Instead of running, Steyer said he is “strengthening my commitment to ‘Need to Impeach’ in 2019 until the House starts proceedings or Mr. Trump resigns. That’s how we will define success.”

Asked after his announcement by NBC News who among possible 2020 Democrats would pick up that impeachment mantle, Steyer said it would be premature to say because he didn’t know yet how the field is shaping up.

Steyer said he will spend at least $40 million on those impeachment efforts over the next year.

Steyer was one of a few wealthy businessmen who are considering seeking the Democratic nomination. The others are former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Starbucks founder Howard Schultz.

Ali Vitali reported from Des Moines and Allan Smith from New York City.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

BBC Question Time LIVE: Fiona Bruce hosts Tobias Ellwood and Nick Thomas-Symonds for show

Published

on

BBC Question Time comes tonight from Belfast where Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood and the DUP’s Jeffrey Donaldson will be giving their verdict on a seismic week in UK politics.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

No deal Brexit CRISIS PLANNING underway in Kent – schools told teachers may become CARERS

Published

on

A BREXIT gridlock threatens to leave pupils in Kent stranded, with the local council warning teachers they may have to pick up the children in their own cars.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

U.S. says “door wide open” to more talks with North Korea

Published

on

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

By Josh Lederman

WASHINGTON — Senior Trump administration officials Thursday said “the door is wide open” to more talks with North Korea after last month’s high-level talks in Hanoi failed to reach a nuclear agreement.

The officials told reporters that President Trump remains “personally engaged” and also wants contacts to occur on the working level, although they wouldn’t disclose whether any such contacts have occurred since the summit between the president and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Officials said the U.S. is working to tighten pressure on North Korea to “unprecedented” levels by better enforcing sanctions and other economic measures against the North.

“This is a new approach,” one senior official said. “You’ve had piecemeal sanctions over the years.”

Tougher pressure, combined with Trump’s willingness to sit down with Kim to discuss North Korea’s future, will hopefully lead North Korea to decide to denuclearize, the officials say.

“We’ll give it some time,” said one official.

The officials said there’s no been change to Trump’s diplomatic approach and that any suggestion that the U.S. was open to a phased approach in which some sanctions would be lifted before denuclearization was a “misinterpretation.” But asked about Trump’s own comments in Hanoi that he didn’t want to box himself in on that issue, the officials said that they, too, didn’t want to box the president in.

The U.S. sees an increasing problem with illicit shipping by North Korea in violation of U.S. and U.N. sanction, including ship-to-ship transfers at sea, the disabling of automated ship identification systems, falsification of cargo documentation, and North Korean coal exports that have resumed in the Gulf of Tonkin.

On Thursday, the Treasury Department slapped sanctions on two shipping company for trying to evade North Korea sanctions. These are the first sanctions since Hanoi.

The Treasury today also issued a new advisory warning about these practices.

Additional companies are “at risk” and will be punished if caught, the officials said.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending