Connect with us

The US government shutdown has become the longest in history and the president is showing no sign of giving in.

The shutdown began on 22 December and has now entered its 22nd day, making it longer than the shutdown of 1995-96, which saw then president Bill Clinton clash with Republicans over health, education and other spending.

Donald Trump’s shutdown has affected the work of nine cabinet departments and various smaller agencies and left 800,000 workers without pay.

US President Donald Trump and others listen to a prayer during a meeting about border security in the Cabinet Room of the White House January 11, 2019 in Washington, DC
Image:
Donald Trump held a meeting on Friday to discuss the situation

It stems from Mr Trump’s determination to build a wall on the US border with Mexico and his fight with reluctant Democrats for the $5.6bn (£4bn) required.

He previously said he would be “proud” to force a shutdown if Democrats, who control the House of Representatives, did not agree to fund the wall and has also threatened to declare a national emergency to overrule them.

The Smithsonian National Zoo is closed because of the shutdown
Image:
Many tourist attractions are closed due to the shutdown
Union workers demonstrate against the government shutdown
Image:
Workers are suffering, with many working without pay

Talks between the two parties have failed to end the deadlock.

On Wednesday Mr Trump reportedly stormed out of a meeting with House speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer which he later dismissed as a “total waste of time”.

Ms Pelosi and Mr Schumer insisted they are in favour of border security, but that Mr Trump had walked out because “he could not get his way”.

Earlier in the week, representatives of affected workers pleaded for the shutdown to end.

Eric Young, speaking on behalf of prison workers, said they had to “live pay check to paycheck” earning between “$500 to $700 a month”.

He added: “We are the people of this shutdown. End this shutdown. If something happens to any of our professionals behind this distraction, blood will be on your hands.

“Stop playing chicken with our lives.”

A representative of employees in the department of housing and urban development said workers were losing their childcare places because they could not pay, and were at risk of missing mortgage payments.

She warned that building inspections were not being carried out – and that if there were problems with any housing developments, there was no one at the department to call.

The national president of the American Federation of Government Employees, J David Cox, said: “We don’t just oppose this because we aren’t getting paid, but that would be reason enough.

“We oppose being held hostage, we oppose being collateral damage, we oppose the use of extortion instead of reasoned debate.”

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Man jailed for sharing footage of Christchurch mosque shooting | World News

Published

on

A man has been jailed in New Zealand for sharing footage of the al Noor Mosque attack.

Christchurch businessman Philip Neville Arps had admitted two charges of distributing an objectionable publication after the shootings.

On Tuesday he was jailed for 21 months, with a judge saying he had “glorified” the shootings.

Fifty-one Muslims died after being shot as they attended Friday prayers at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in March.

The al Noor shooting was streamed on Facebook.

Arps, among 13 people charged regarding the attack material, distributed the video to approximately 30 people on the social networking site, the court heard.

The second charge related to him asking another person to add crosshairs and a “kill count” to the video, intending to use this as a meme.

He was arrested days after the shootings and has been kept in solitary confinement since then.

In comments reported by the NZ Herald, Judge Stephen O’Driscoll said on Tuesday that Arps, 44, had “strong and unrepentant views towards the Muslim community”.

People march to remember the victims of the Christchurch mosque shootings
Image:
New Zealand was praised for its show of unity after the shootings

The court heard that Arps, who runs what was described as an insulation company that has used neo-Nazi imagery, showed “particular cruelty” in sharing the footage the day after the attack.

A pre-sentence report said Arps showed no remorse or empathy for any of those affected.

Judge O’Driscoll said some parts of the pre-sentence report were concerning but he did not mention them publicly, wary of Arps considering them a “badge of honour”.

The judge did, however, say that Arps had once compared himself to Nazi war criminal Rudolf Hess and that the report said he was a high risk of re-offending.

According to TVNZ, Arps faces six months of strict conditions after he completes his sentence.

These include psychiatric assessments, drug and alcohol treatment and a ban on using the internet.

Facebook, the world’s largest social media platform, has been criticised for being slow to take down footage of the attacks, which was deemed objectionable by New Zealand’s Chief Censor.

Along with other social media, Facebook has long been under pressure to do more about hateful and abusive posts.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Toronto Raptors: Two injured in shooting at victory parade for NBA champions | World News

Published

on

Two people have been injured in a shooting at a victory parade for the Toronto Raptors basketball team, police have said. 

Tweets from people attending the parade at Nathan Philips Square said they heard several gunshots, which sparked a stampede from the crowd.

Canadian journalist Diana Weeks said she heard four shots in total, but “thought they were fireworks”.

She added: “I don’t even know what to say right now.”

“Started running for our lives. This is not Toronto. Children crying… ppl running.”

Videos of the incident showed people running to exit the square as the incident unfolded.

Toronto police said the victims’ injuries were “serious but not life threatening”, and that two people had been arrested.

Two firearms have also been recovered.

The Toronto Raptors were aboard five double-decker buses as they paraded through the city
Image:
The Toronto Raptors were aboard five double-decker buses as they paraded through the city

More than a million people had lined the streets on Monday to celebrate the Raptors’ – and Canada’s – first ever NBA championship win.

The team was paraded aboard five double-decker buses through the city, before coming to an end at the square.

Several public figures delivered speeches, including Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Mr Trudeau, Toronto’s mayor and Raptors player Kawhi Leonard remained on stage as the incident unfolded, and resumed celebrations shortly after.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Teenager survives after 10in blade narrowly misses his brain | World News

Published

on

Surgeons have told a 15-year-old Kansas boy who got a 10in knife embedded in his skull when he fell on it that he was within millimetres of death.

The knife narrowly missed Eli Gregg’s brain with the tip pushing against his carotid artery, which supplies the brain with blood.

Eli Gregg’s brain scan
Image:
The tip of the blade was pushing against his carotid artery

Dr Koji Ebersole, who oversaw the removal, said: “It could not have had a pound more force on it and him survive that event.

“I don’t think he would have survived it.”

Eli’s mum Russell said her son was playing in the garden on Thursday when she heard him scream.

She found him with the large knife jutting out from just below his eye.

Eli Gregg’s brain scan
Image:
Within 24 hours of the surgery, Eli was able to talk

“It looked pretty grim, it was scary,” she said.

Within 24 hours of the surgery, Eli was able to talk and make light of the situation.

His mum added: “He says he is going to stay away from sharp objects.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending