Connect with us

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

SUBSCRIBE

By Gary Grumbach and Adiel Kaplan

A Coast Guard officer accused of stockpiling guns and compiling a hit list of prominent Democrats and network television journalists can be released on strict supervision to one of his in-laws while he awaits trial, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

Judge Charles Day agreed to delay the release while prosecutors appeal the decision.

Christopher Hasson, 50, a Coast Guard lieutenant working in the nation’s capital, was arrested Feb. 15 on drug and gun charges. Prosecutors later called Hasson a “domestic terrorist” in court filings and said he “intends to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country.”

But Hasson has not been charged with any terrorism-related offenses and prosecutors have said they don’t plan to file additional charges. Hasson’s lawyer has been seeking his pretrial release for several months.

After initially denying the request, the judge agreed Tuesday to a strict release into the custody of Hasson’s father-in-law or mother-in-law in Virginia, where he would have to be accompanied by someone else at all times.

Hasson will not be released yet. The judge has laid out a lengthy list of conditions for his release, which court officers must confirm have been met, and the government’s appeal must be processed. If the appeal is rejected, Hasson may be released in about a week.

The judge had previously expressed his “grave concerns” about Hasson based on information prosecutors have presented. On Tuesday, Day said the allegations against Hasson made him “very nervous, but I don’t think it justifies detention.”

The stockpile of guns found by investigators owned by Christopher Hasson.U.S. Attorney’s Office in Maryland

Hasson, a self-described white nationalist who espoused extremist views for years, stockpiled weapons and created a hit list of prominent Democrats, two Supreme Court justices, network TV journalists and social media company executives, according to prosecutors. Investigators found 15 guns, including seven rifles, and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition at Hasson’s basement apartment in Silver Spring, Maryland.

Prosecutors have said Hasson appeared to be planning attacks inspired by the manifesto of Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a 2011 bomb-and-shooting rampage.

In court, Hasson’s attorney Liz Oyer said he has had a lifelong interest in firearms and likes to hunt and target practice. She said the number of guns he owned isn’t unusual in North Carolina, where he lived for years before moving to Maryland.

Hasson pleaded not guilty in March to charges of illegal possession of firearm silencers, possession of firearms by a drug addict and unlawful user, and possession of a controlled substance. He faces a maximum of 31 years in prison if convicted of all four counts in his indictment.

Hasson, a former Marine, worked at the Coast Guard headquarters in Washington on a program to acquire advanced new cutters for the agency. A Coast Guard spokesman has said Hasson will remain on active duty until the case against him is resolved.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Boris, sign him up! Jacob Rees-Mogg offers to join new Cabinet – ‘I will do anything’

Published

on

JACOB REES-MOGG has vowed to “do anything” to help incoming Prime Minister Boris Johnson after the former London Mayor secured a landslide victory over Jeremy Hunt in the Tory leadership contest.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Search warrants issued for phones in Puerto Rico chat scandal

Published

on

A day after more than half a million Puerto Ricans participated in a protest demanding the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, the island’s Justice Department confirmed to NBC News that it had issued search warrants to confiscate the cellphones of several people who participated in leaked private message chats with the governor.

The contents of the chats have triggered unprecedented mass protests and calls for Rosselló’s ouster.

The warrants come a week after only a handful of members in the chat voluntarily surrendered their cellphones to Justice officials as part of an investigation into possible conflicts of interest and law violations stemming from the leaked messages.

Telemundo Puerto Rico reported on Tuesday that authorities had confiscated the phones of Luis Rivera Marín, Rosselló’s secretary of state; Christian Sobrino, who held a series of economic posts; Raúl Maldonado, former chief financial officer; one-time communications aides Carlos Bermúdez and Rafael Cerame; Edwin Miranda, a communications consultant; Public Affairs Secretary Anthony Maceira; and Elías Sánchez, a lobbyist and Rosselló’s former campaign director.

Mariana Cobián, a Justice Department spokesperson, could only confirm to NBC News that warrants were taking place, but stated that they could not provide more details because of it’s an ongoing investigation.

The chats had 12 members, including Rosselló, who was one of the chat’s administrators.

No warrants were reportedly issued to seize Rosselló’s phone, who according to multiple local reports, had not complied with Justice Department requests last week.

Alfonso Orona, Rosselló’s former chief legal officer; Ramón Rosario, former public affairs secretary; and Interior Secretary Ricardo Llerandi complied last week with the Justice Department’s orders, according to Telemundo.

Justice officials launched the investigation shortly after the island’s Center for Investigative Journalism published 889 pages of the chats showing public officials, lobbyists and others discussing public policy issues and party politics.

Days later, Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez announced plans to recuse herself from participating in the investigation since she was a subject of conversation in the leaked chats.

FOLLOW NBC LATINO ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Tory Leader LIVE: Johnson assembles Brexit dream team – David Frost chosen as EU advisor

Published

on

BORIS JOHNSON is starting to assemble his Brexit dream team as he begins his new role as Prime Minister.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending