Connect with us

The mother of a woman who was found dead in a freezer in east London has said she hadn’t spoken to her daughter in three years.

Henriett Szuke, 34, was identified by police earlier this week after her body was found alongside another woman’s inside a freezer in Canning Town.

Ms Szuke was a Hungarian national who had been in the UK for several years but did not have a fixed address.

She had come to the UK looking for work after giving up her job in a factory in the industrial city of Miskolc. But she soon found herself destitute and sleeping rough and had made no contact with family and friends in Hungary for three years.

Her mother, Maria Rusznyak, has told Hungarian media that Ms Szuke had “abandoned” her children to live in the UK.

Henriett Szucs, 34, was a Hungarian national who had been in the UK for several years
Image:
The 34-year-old was a Hungarian national who had been in the UK for several years

She said police asked “about identification marks, whether I recognise her…and if we kept in touch but ever since she left the children here we didn’t. Apart from that, nothing”.

She added: “Since she left her family we don’t know anything. I fell out with her when she abandoned her two kids, as I also have three.

“My son began to look find her on Facebook three years ago to ‘find her, let’s find her’ but we didn’t. We thought she must have lost her phone but we never thought about this terrible thing.”

Mrs Rusznyak said the situation was “terrible” adding “we can’t get over it”.

She said: “I don’t feel responsible for this whole story, it was her decision, she was an adult, she controlled her own life, I don’t get involved in any of my children’s life.

“Everyone should take responsibility for what they do. But if they need help, I’m 100% standing by them.”

The family does not know whether they will be able to travel to the UK, as they said their finances may not allow and they have no details for a funeral.

It comes after Sky News spoke to manageress Sonia Lynch from the Welcome Centre homeless charity in Ilford, east London, who said Ms Szuke had “no issues with drugs and alcohol and other issues”.

A sketch of an angel, drawn by Henriett
Image:
A sketch of an angel, drawn by Ms Szuke

She added: “She was always sketching, it was a kind of therapy for her I think. She was very talented and would do drawings and give them away to other clients.”

In Hungary, a neighbour who lives in the house where Ms Szuke used to live said she didn’t know much about her, but that everyone is “shocked” and “very sorry about her”.

Andras Szajiko added: “They had two small children, a boy and a girl. But since they moved I don’t know, whether they got divorced [Ms Szuke and her husband].”

Another neighbour, Nikolett Lazar, described her as “very decent”.

Mihrican Mustafa
Image:
Mihrican Mustafa was the other woman found in the freezer

He said: “[Their] grandmother is raising the two children. But they are grown now.

“We haven’t seen her for years. There are no words about her. The children are taken care of very well by the grandmother, they go to school, so I don’t think anyone was actually missing her… to be very honest.

“She did not have a bad name either, I did not really know her because when we moved here when she wasn’t good with her husband, they were already separated. All I know is that the children are with the grandmother, nothing else.”

After naming her on Tuesday, Detective Chief Inspector Simon Harding, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “We understand she was last heard from in the summer of 2016 when she spoke to somebody she knew in Hungary on the phone.

“We need to establish if that was the last-known contact with Henriett and I would ask anyone who heard from her after that time to contact my team.”

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Five Britons arrested and 100kg of drugs confiscated in Malaga | UK News

Published

on

A British criminal network has been foiled in Spain, with more than 100kg of drugs confiscated. 

Five Britons – three men and two women aged between 38 and 62 – have been arrested in connection with the network by the National Police in Malaga.

Five people were arrested. Pic: Policia Nacional
Image:
Three men and two women have been arrested. Pic: Policia Nacional

Officers said they intercepted 52kg of a mix of marijuana and hash, and 51kg of vacuum-packed marijuana buds.

The police operation also saw the seizure of 23,000 euros (£21,000) in cash.

Drugs were being sent across Europe through couriers based in Malaga, and it is thought they were destined for countries including the UK, Sweden, Poland and Denmark.

The suspects allegedly took steps to avoid police, including frequently changing which vehicles they used and the homes they rented, officers said.

Some of the drugs were destined for the UK. Pic: Policia Nacional
Image:
Some of the drugs were destined for the UK. Pic: Policia Nacional

A long-running police operation saw two parcel shipments intercepted at courier agencies in May, containing 58kg of drugs in seven boxes intended for Sweden, Poland and Denmark.

In subsequent shipments, the last one intercepted earlier in August, three packages containing 17kg of the drugs were prevented from reaching Sweden and the UK, the force said.

Police then carried out home searches once the suspects were identified, with a further 28kg uncovered in the raids.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Hong Kong: Police use water cannon for first time against protesters | World News

Published

on

Hong Kong police have used water cannon against anti-government protesters for the first time during a second straight day of demonstrations.

There have been skirmishes between activists and officers following a pro-democracy march in an area known as the New Territories where tens of thousands took to the streets.

A large crowd then attended a rally in a park but another group of protesters took over a main street, putting up barricades with traffic barriers and cones.

Police tried to disperse them by firing tear gas but protesters reacted by throwing bricks and other objects towards the officers.

The violence came a day after similar clashes in the Kowloon Bay district where authorities arrested 29 people for offences including unlawful assembly, possession of offensive weapons and assaulting police officers.

According to the South China Morning Post, the custom-built French trucks have 15 high-pressure cannons.

Two cannons on the roof can fire more than 1,200 litres of water a minute over a distance of 50 metres. The water can be mixed with tear gas or liquid dye as well.

According to guidelines, the cannons should only be aimed at the lower limbs of the protesters.

An assistant commissioner of police overseeing operations is allowed to authorise deployment of the water cannon after assessing threats.

The trucks arrived in the city in May last year.

More follows…

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Australia to block websites hosting terror content during attacks | World News

Published

on

Websites and social media companies that host terrorist material during attacks will be blocked, Australian officials have said.

The government plans to crack down on extremists exploiting digital platforms to post very violent content.

And it is considering bringing in legislation to force the platforms to improve safety.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: “We are doing everything we can to deny terrorists the opportunity to glorify their crimes.”

The clampdown comes after suspected gunman Brenton Tarrant allegedly live-streamed on Facebook an attack on two mosques in March which claimed 51 lives in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

This led to increased scrutiny of websites and social media companies.

Brenton Tarrant, charged for murder in relation to the mosque attacks, is seen in the dock during his appearance in the Christchurch District Court, New Zealand March 16, 2019
Image:
Suspected gunman Brenton Tarrant pictured in court in New Zealand

Internet domains hosting any abhorrent violent material – content showing murder, attempted murder, rape, torture, or kidnapping – recorded by those involved would also be blocked, the government said.

A crisis coordination centre would also be set up to monitor the online world for extreme violence or terrorist material.

Mr Morrison is outlining his plans at the G7 summit in the French town of Biarritz, where the leaders of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and US gathered.

He is trying to push countries to take more action against terrorist and violent extremist material during a series of meetings on the sidelines of the summit.

The Australian government has not elaborated on what legislative options would be used if digital platforms failed to improve safety.

Tech giants including Facebook, YouTube, Amazon, Microsoft and Twitter, and telecoms firms Telstra, Vodafone, TPG and Optus are set to tell the government next month how they plan to carry out the recommendations.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending