Connect with us

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Puerto Rico’s governor apologized late Thursday for profanity-laced comments he made in a private chat to describe a former New York City female government official and a federal control board overseeing the island’s finances.

Gov. Ricardo Rosselló said he was working 18-hour days and releasing tensions when he called former New York City Council speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito the Spanish word for “whore” and in English told the board “go f— yourself” followed by a string of emojis with the middle finger raised.

“None of this justifies the words I’ve written,” he said in reference to excerpts from a chat extracted from a messaging system used by government officials that were published by local media. “My apologies to all the people I have offended… This was a private chat.”

The comments drew the ire of many Puerto Ricans who said they were ashamed of his language and of how this might affect the reputation of the U.S. territory, which had already come under scrutiny earlier this week with the arrests of former government officials including the island’s education secretary.

Rosselló said he had not yet spoken to Mark-Viverito, who posted a lengthy statement on Twitter that read in part, “A person who uses that language against a woman, whether a public figure or not, should not govern Puerto Rico …this type of behavior is completely unacceptable.”

In the chat, Rosselló wrote that he was upset Mark-Viverito had criticized Tom Perez, chair of the Democratic National Committee, for supporting statehood for Puerto Rico.

Those who participated in the chat included Ricardo Llerandi, Puerto Rico’s Chief of Staff, Christian Sobrino, executive director of Puerto Rico’s Fiscal Agency and Financial Advisory Authority; and Ramón Rosario, former public affairs secretary. Rosselló said the entire chat, which has not been released publicly, has since been erased and that he does not know who leaked part of it.

Rosselló spoke a day after FBI agents arrested Julia Keleher, Puerto Rico’s former education secretary, and five other people on charges of steering federal money to unqualified, politically connected contractors.

Officials said the alleged fraud involves $15.5 million worth of federal funding issued between 2017 and 2019. They said $13 million was spent by Puerto Rico’s Department of Education while Keleher was secretary and another $2.5 million spent by Ángela Ávila Marrero when she was director of Puerto Rico’s Health Insurance Administration. Ávila Marrero was charged along with businessmen Fernando Scherrer-Caillet and Alberto Velázquez-Piñol, and education contractors Glenda E. Ponce-Mendoza and Mayra Ponce-Mendoza, who are sisters.

Officials said there was no evidence that Keleher or Ávila-Marrero had personally benefited from the scheme.

“I am ashamed to have to listen to the allegations that have been made against former public officials,” Rosselló said. “It is simply unacceptable, it is unprecedented what our people have had to go through.”

Earlier Thursday evening, a group of protesters had gathered at Puerto Rico’s main international airport to received Rosselló as he cut a European vacation short to address the arrests and the leaked chat. The protesters then traveled to the governor’s seaside mansion where Rosselló spoke late Thursday and demanded his resignation.

“He’s not a person of worth to be governing Puerto Rico,” said Vanesa Contreras, one of the protesters. “We deserve better.”

Rosselló said he would not resign and that he was focused on implementing anti-corruption measures, although he did not provide details.

FOLLOW NBC LATINO ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM.



Source link

Politics

‘Bottled it!’ Labour FURY as Holly and Phil sideline ITV interview for Boris selfie

Published

on

LABOUR supporters have furiously reacted to Boris Johnson’s selfie with ITV’s Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby who have been accused to costing up to the Prime Minister instead of interrogating the Tory leader in the run-up to the general election.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Two Russian hackers charged in sweeping malware attack on U.S.

Published

on

Federal prosecutors have filed charges against two Russian nationals accused of carrying out one of the largest cybercrime sprees in history, orchestrating a string of attacks on computer systems in the United States and targeting victims in at least 11 states.

The accused were responsible for tens of millions of dollars in damages, and the attacks netted them over $3 million, according to court documents.

Get breaking news and insider analysis on the rapidly changing world of media and technology right to your inbox.

Maksim Yakubets and Igor Turashev are accused of planting malware on computers, attacking several institutions in Pennsylvania — a bank, companies, a school district — in addition to targets in other states, including a lumber company, a natural gas company, and a small organization of nuns in Chicago, according to a complaint unsealed Thursday.

Yakubets, who is linked to Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), was the leader of the hacking operation and Turashev was his assistant, prosecutors said. The two men, who were both indicted in Pittsburgh but whose whereabouts are unknown, obtained access to the U.S. computer systems through phishing emails claiming to be from legitimate companies and groups.

Igor Turashev, left, and Maksim Yakubets are accused of planting malware on victim computers.FBI

The attacks were among “the worst computer hacking and bank fraud schemes of the past decade,” Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski said at a news conference.

Benczkowski added that Yakubets was a “true 21st century criminal” and the “leader of a cybercriminal gang” who allegedly orchestrated “the kinds of criminal schemes so audacious and sophisticated they would be difficult to imagine if they were not real.”

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

The accused targeted, apparently unsuccessfully, the Sharon City School District in western Pennsylvania. But they had more success draining funds from the bank account of Penneco Oil.

The Department of Treasury has added the defendants to its Office of Foreign Assets Control list, which administers and enforces sanctions. The State Department and the FBI are offering a $5 million reward for information that leads to Yakubets’ arrest and conviction.

Tom Winter contributed.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

LIB DEM SHAME: Swinson's team twisted Express story for anti-Boris 'biased agenda'

Published

on

THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS have been blasted for pursuing a “fake news agenda” after a general election leaflet was found to have “manipulated” an Express.co.uk article in order to condemn Boris Johnson.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending