Connect with us

WASHINGTON — The House on Friday overwhelmingly approved a bill ensuring that a victims compensation fund for the Sept. 11 attacks never runs out of money.

The 402-12 vote sends the bill to the Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has agreed to call a vote before Congress goes on its August recess.

Lawmakers from both parties hailed the House vote, which comes a month after comedian Jon Stewart sharply criticized Congress for failing to act. Stewart, a longtime advocate for 9/11 responders, told lawmakers at an emotional hearing that they were showing “disrespect” to first responders now suffering from respiratory ailments and other illnesses as a result of their recovery work at the former World Trade Center site in New York City.

Stewart called the sparse attendance at the June 11 hearing “an embarrassment to the country and a stain on this institution.” He later targeted McConnell for slow-walking previous version of the legislation and using it as a political pawn to get other things done.

Stewart said Friday that replenishing the victims fund was “necessary, urgent and morally right.”

Replenishing the fund will not fix the health problems of emergency workers and their families, but it would remove “a 15-year, unnecessary burden placed by their own government upon them,” Stewart said at a Capitol news conference.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other lawmakers credited Stewart for raising the profile of the issue, which has lingered on Capitol Hill for years.

“You made it too hot to handle” in the Senate, Pelosi, D-Calif., told Stewart, praising him for shining his “celebrity spotlight” on the issue.

Eleven Republicans and independent Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan opposed the bill. No Democrat voted against the measure.

The bill would extend a victims compensation fund created after the 2001 terrorist attacks through 2092, essentially making it permanent. The $7.4 billion fund is rapidly being depleted, and administrators recently cut benefit payments by up to 70%.

The Congressional Budget Office said in a report this week that the bill would result in about $10.2 billion in additional compensation payments over 10 years, including more than $4 billion for claims already filed. The bill would require that victims whose compensation payments were reduced because of the fund’s declining balance be made whole.

“This was not a hurricane or a flood or a tornado. This was the largest terrorist attack ever on American soil,” Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y., said in a floor speech before the House vote. “As Jon Stewart testified in front of the House Judiciary Committee, these terrorists weren’t saying ‘Death to Tribeca’. This was an attack on all of us as Americans and we all should be voting yes today as Americans.”

Zeldin and other lawmakers noted that one of the bill’s most prominent advocates, former New York City police detective Luis Alvarez, did not live to see its passage. Alvarez, who testified with Stewart at last month’s House hearing, died June 29 at age 53.

Alvarez, who was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 2016, traced his illness to the three months he spent in the rubble of the World Trade Center’s twin towers after the attacks.

Alvarez “shouldn’t have had to come down here to fight on behalf of all of these other victims and first responders in the first place,” Zeldin said. “Month after month, year after year … how many first responders have made dozens of trips (to the Capitol) educating, advocating, passionately asking members of Congress for their support?”

The bill was renamed to honor Alvarez and other first responders.

McConnell said in a statement after the House vote that the Senate will take up the legislation soon.

“The first responders who rushed into danger on September 11th, 2001, are the very definition of American heroes and patriots,” he said. “The Senate has never forgotten the victim compensation fund and we aren’t about to start now.”

Source link

Politics

‘Bottled it!’ Labour FURY as Holly and Phil sideline ITV interview for Boris selfie

Published

on

LABOUR supporters have furiously reacted to Boris Johnson’s selfie with ITV’s Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby who have been accused to costing up to the Prime Minister instead of interrogating the Tory leader in the run-up to the general election.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Two Russian hackers charged in sweeping malware attack on U.S.

Published

on

Federal prosecutors have filed charges against two Russian nationals accused of carrying out one of the largest cybercrime sprees in history, orchestrating a string of attacks on computer systems in the United States and targeting victims in at least 11 states.

The accused were responsible for tens of millions of dollars in damages, and the attacks netted them over $3 million, according to court documents.

Get breaking news and insider analysis on the rapidly changing world of media and technology right to your inbox.

Maksim Yakubets and Igor Turashev are accused of planting malware on computers, attacking several institutions in Pennsylvania — a bank, companies, a school district — in addition to targets in other states, including a lumber company, a natural gas company, and a small organization of nuns in Chicago, according to a complaint unsealed Thursday.

Yakubets, who is linked to Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), was the leader of the hacking operation and Turashev was his assistant, prosecutors said. The two men, who were both indicted in Pittsburgh but whose whereabouts are unknown, obtained access to the U.S. computer systems through phishing emails claiming to be from legitimate companies and groups.

Igor Turashev, left, and Maksim Yakubets are accused of planting malware on victim computers.FBI

The attacks were among “the worst computer hacking and bank fraud schemes of the past decade,” Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski said at a news conference.

Benczkowski added that Yakubets was a “true 21st century criminal” and the “leader of a cybercriminal gang” who allegedly orchestrated “the kinds of criminal schemes so audacious and sophisticated they would be difficult to imagine if they were not real.”

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

The accused targeted, apparently unsuccessfully, the Sharon City School District in western Pennsylvania. But they had more success draining funds from the bank account of Penneco Oil.

The Department of Treasury has added the defendants to its Office of Foreign Assets Control list, which administers and enforces sanctions. The State Department and the FBI are offering a $5 million reward for information that leads to Yakubets’ arrest and conviction.

Tom Winter contributed.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

LIB DEM SHAME: Swinson's team twisted Express story for anti-Boris 'biased agenda'

Published

on

THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS have been blasted for pursuing a “fake news agenda” after a general election leaflet was found to have “manipulated” an Express.co.uk article in order to condemn Boris Johnson.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending