Starting on Wednesday, Uber riders in cars with Cargo consoles already installed will be able to download the new Cargo app to make purchases on items that include travel accessories, movies and trendy tech gear.
The next time you’re sitting in an Uber on the way to the airport, wishing you had better luggage or had thought to download a movie to your phone, you’ll be able to do just that.
Uber on Wednesday announced the launch of a new shopping app with Cargo, a start-up that aims to be an on-the-go convenience store.
About a year ago, Cargo struck a deal with Uber to become the ride-sharing service’s exclusive, in-car commerce provider globally. They have already been working to put consoles selling snacks into cars — about 30,000 Uber drivers in 10 U.S. cities have them.
Now, they’re rolling out the Cargo app, which will be curated with Uber’s help to sell items like the Amazon Echo, Apple AirPods, Away Luggage, Glossier make-up and Oculus Go devices, Neal Watterson, the head of guest products at Uber, said in a blog post.
Here’s how it will work:
Uber riders in cars with Cargo consoles will now be able to download the app to make purchases on items that include travel accessories, movies and trendy tech gear. More brands will be added over time, and more drivers are adding the boxes to their cars.
By buying something, customers will also receive an extra 10% back in Uber Cash, which can be redeemed on future rides or on future Cargo purchases.
The Cargo app will work only during an Uber trip. After a purchase is complete, Cargo will ship items directly to a rider’s home, free of charge, Watterson said. The items should arrive within two to five business days.
The Cargo app will also include in-ride entertainment via a partnership with Universal Studios, selling movies for $5 and $10 apiece, or in bundles for $15 and $20. Watterson said they’re doing this because many people taking Uber trips are riding longer distances to and from airports.
The move shows the company is trying to make the riding experience more appealing over its competitors like Lyft and Via. It’s also another way for drivers to make money if they have Cargo boxes installed — drivers make $1 per purchase and pocket 25% of the cost of each item sold via the app. The upstart brands, like Glossier and Away, that end up on the Cargo app are also likely to gain more exposure.
Uber has equity in Cargo but declined to comment on the amount. Cargo has raised nearly $30 million to date, according to Crunchbase.
Uber went public on May 10, when the stock started trading at $42. Its shares are up about 4.9% since then.
Disclosure: Universal Studios and CNBC are owned by Comcast’s NBCUniversal unit.
Hong Kong police briefly turn water cannon on protesters, fire tear gas
Protesters gather in Kwai Fong in Hong Kong on August 24, 2019.
LILLIAN SUWANRUMPHA | AFP | Getty Images
Hong Kong police briefly fired water cannon and volleys of tear gas to force back brick-throwing protesters on Sunday after violent clashes a day earlier during which police also fired tear gas for the first time in more than a week.
At least one petrol bomb was thrown by protesters. The water cannon, which had not been used in years of anti-government protests, soon pulled away.
The Chinese-ruled city’s MTR rail operator suspended some services to try to prevent people gathering but protesters made it to a sports stadium in the vast container port of Kwai Chung, from where they marched to nearby Tsuen Wan.
Some dug up bricks from the pavement and wheeled them away to use as ammunition, others sprayed detergent on the road to make it slippery for the lines of police. Clashes spread in many directions.
Police had warned earlier they would launch a “dispersal operation” and told people to leave.
“Some radical protesters have removed railings … and set up barricades with water-filled barriers, bamboo sticks, traffic cones and other objects,” they said in a statement.
“Such acts neglect the safety of citizens and road users, paralysing traffic in the vicinity,” the statement said.
Activists threw petrol bombs and bricks on Saturday in the gritty industrial district of Kwun Tong, on the east of the Kowloon peninsula.
The vast majority marched peacefully on Sunday.
M. Sung, a 53-year-old software engineer in a black mask emblematic of the many older, middle-class citizens at the march, said he had been at almost every protest and would keep coming.
“We know this is the last chance to fight for ‘one country, two systems’, otherwise the Chinese Communist Party will penetrate our home city and control everything,” he said.
“If we keep a strong mind, we can sustain this movement for justice and democracy. It won’t die,” Sung said.
Protesters say they are fighting the erosion of the “one country, two systems” arrangement under which the former British colony returned to China in 1997 with the promise of continued freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland.
The protests, which started over a now-suspended extradition bill and evolved into demands for greater democracy, have rocked Hong Kong for three months and plunged the city into its biggest political crisis since the handover.
They also pose a direct challenge for Communist Party leaders in Beijing, who are eager to quell the unrest ahead of the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China on Oct. 1.
Beijing has sent a clear warning that forceful intervention is possible, with paramilitary forces holding drills just over the border.
Transport to the airport appeared normal on Sunday, despite protesters’ plans for a day-long “stress test” of transport in the international aviation and financial hub.
Police said they strongly condemned protesters “breaching public peace” and that 19 men and 10 women had been arrested after Saturday’s violence. More than 700 have been arrested since the demonstrations began in June.
The neighbouring gambling territory of Macau, a former Portuguese colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1999, elected former legislature head Ho Iat Seng as its leader on Sunday – the sole approved candidate.
Ho, who has deep ties to China, is expected to cement Beijing’s control over the “special administrative region”, the same status given to Hong Kong, and distance it from the unrest there.
US-UK trade deal within a year of Brexit will be tight, UK PM Johnson
It will be tight to meet the United States’ desire to do a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain within a year, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday.
Johnson, who took office last month, had his first bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump earlier on Sunday at the G7 meeting in France and the two discussed a range of issues including trade.
In interviews with British television media afterwards, Johnson said the United States wanted to do a deal within a year of Britain leaving the EU on Oct. 31.
“Years and years is an exaggeration, but to do it all within a year is going to be tight,” he told BBC TV.
Johnson also said the chances of Britain agreeing a Brexit deal with the EU were improving but it would be “touch and go”.
At G-7, Trump says he is not happy about North Korea missile tests
SAINT-JEAN-DE-LUZ, France — President Donald Trump said Sunday he was not happy after North Korea launched short-range ballistic missiles over the weekend.
“I’m not happy about it but again he’s not in violation of any agreement,” Trump said when asked about the recent string of tests from the North’s Kim Jong Un.
“I discussed long-range ballistic and that he cannot do and he hasn’t been doing it and he hasn’t been doing nuclear testing. He has done short-range, much more standard missiles, a lot of people are testing those missiles, not just him. We are in the world of missiles folks, whether you like it or not,” Trump said.
Meanwhile, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said North Korea’s test was in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.
On Saturday, North Korea fired what appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea off its east coast, the South Korean military said, the latest in a series of launches in recent weeks amid stalled denuclearization talks.
North Korea, the only nation to have tested nuclear weapons this century, spent most of Trump’s first year in office perfecting its nuclear arsenal. The newest member of the world’s exclusive nuclear weapons club has stopped testing of its nukes for now as the U.S. and international community offer the possibility of relief from crippling economic sanctions.
Under the third-generation North Korean leader, the reclusive state has conducted its most powerful nuclear test, launched its first-ever intercontinental ballistic missile and threatened to send missiles into the waters near the U.S. territory of Guam.
Since 2011, Kim has fired more than 90 missiles and had four nuclear weapons tests, which is more than what his father, Kim Jong Il, and grandfather, Kim Il Sung, launched over a period of 27 years.
World1 week ago
Trump to discuss Taliban talks, withdrawing troops from Afghanistan
Latest News1 week ago
European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker cuts short holiday for urgent gallbladder surgery | World News
Politics1 week ago
Julián Castro wants to tax heirs, provide child credits to tackle wealth inequality
Politics1 week ago
The race for the 2020 Democratic nomination is on. Who’s in, and, increasingly, who’s out.
Latest News1 week ago
Hong Kong: Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg resigns over ‘recent events’ | Breaking News News
Politics1 week ago
Corbyn plotting with Nicola Sturgeon to seize control of Brexit and delay UK’s departure
Politics1 week ago
Judges tell Trump admin to clean up its act: Migrant children need soap
Latest News1 week ago
There is a palpable sense of shame in Hong Kong | World News