A reward of one million Hong Kong dollars has been offered for help identifying a protester who removed a Chinese flag and threw it into the sea.
Pictures have been released showing a man, dressed all in black with a baseball cap and scarf covering his face, climbing the base of a flagpole and pulling down the standard at the Star Ferry terminal in Kowloon, during pro-democracy protests on Saturday.
Video: No respect, no shame: #HongKong protesters lowered a Chinese national flag at the port of Tsim Sha Tsui and threw it into the sea on Saturday. They also deviated from permitted routes and caused serious traffic jams. #香港 pic.twitter.com/VhMw0u1Orj
— Global Times (@globaltimesnews) August 3, 2019
As further rallies got under way on Sunday, former Hong Kong chief executive CY Leung offered 1 million Hong Kong dollars (£105,000) for information about the “insane person” responsible for the act, which he said will provoke “enormous resentment from the entire nation”.
Police said they arrested more than 20 people during the protests on Saturday, in which a major tunnel was blocked and a police station attacked.
They were held for unlawful assembly, assault and other offences after the pre-planned march descended into violent confrontations between protesters and police.
Tens of thousands of people walked past the end point agreed with police and into Mong Kok, a busy shopping area popular with tourists in northern Kowloon.
Police said some violent protesters threw petrol bombs, bricks, glass bottles and other objects at officers and refused to disperse at the agreed location.
Sky News filmed others blocking a major tunnel linking Kowloon and Hong Kong island, while others surrounded two different police stations, damaging vehicles parked inside one car park.
The demonstrators lit fires at various locations, at one point pushing a burning rubbish bin towards officers, police said in a statement.
In a different area, police said protesters threw fireworks and broke windows on residential buildings, threatening local peoples’ safety.
On Sunday, two more rallies began, the first starting in the Tseung Kwan O district, where thousands of people gathered.
The demonstrations, which have been going on for several weeks, started over now suspended plans for a controversial extradition bill to allow people to be sent from Hong Kong to mainland China for trial.
Many worried it could be used to silence those against Beijing’s rule.
The demonstrations have since expanded to protest about alleged police brutality and to encompass a general call for greater democratic rights.
They are also being seen as a test of Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam’s commitment to the freedoms enshrined in the “one country, two systems” arrangement agreed with Britain when the territory was handed back to China in 1997.
Japanese man is jailed for killing violent, reclusive son with kitchen knife | World News
A man has been sentenced to six years in jail after he stabbed his violent, socially isolated son to death with a kitchen knife.
Hideaki Kumazawa, 76, called police after stabbing his son Eiichiro, 44, in the neck and chest more than 30 times at his home in Tokyo in June.
He pleaded guilty during a trial at Tokyo District Court.
Eiichiro, who had a developmental disorder and was routinely violent toward his mother, died from massive blood loss. He had been removed from his parents and was living alone in an apartment.
A week before his death, however, he returned home, resumed his violence against his mother and threatened to kill his father, the court said in a ruling.
Defence lawyers said Kumazawa, a former deputy minister of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, feared his son would harm others.
Days earlier, another social recluse, known in Japan as hikikomori, stabbed a number of schoolchildren at a bus stop outside Tokyo, killing two people and wounding 17 others, most of them schoolgirls, before killing himself.
Hikikomori are described as people who have been isolated at home for at least six consecutive months without going to work.
In seeking a suspended term, lawyers said Kumazawa had previously supported his son, despite the violence towards his mother, and killed him in self-defence.
But Judge Tomoyuki Nakayama said the number of stab wounds, and the fact that some were very deep, indicated that it had not been purely an act of self-defence.
Kumazawa said it was his duty to pay for his crime and to pray for his son in the afterlife.
According to a government survey in March, there are an estimated 610,000 hikikomori in Japan.
Mostly men, and aged between 40 and 64, many are still cared for by their elderly parents.
New Zealand: Prime minister leads minute’s silence for volcano victims one week on | World News
New Zealand fell silent on Monday, marking a week since the White Island volcanic eruption that killed 16 people.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern led the tributes and paused her cabinet meeting at exactly 2.11pm on Monday (1.11am GMT) in memory of those who were killed in the eruption.
Ms Ardern said it was an opportunity to stand alongside those who had lost loved ones in the tragedy.
In a statement she said: “Together we can express our sorrow for those who have died and been hurt, and our support for their grieving families and friends.”
At least 19 other people remain in hospital following Monday’s eruption on White Island, also known as Whakaari.
The official death toll stands at 16, however authorities believe two people are still missing on the island.
Authorities said eight police search and rescue staff were deployed for 75 minutes to an area where reports suggested one body could be – but did not find anyone.
Police have said they remained committed to recovering the two bodies and that police and military divers were continuing to scour the waters around the island.
The volcano, a popular destination for daytrippers, erupted on Monday – spewing ash, steam and gases over the island.
Among the 47 people on the island at the time were Australian, US, German, Chinese, British and Malaysian tourists.
Police have begun formally releasing the names and nationalities of those killed, with 21-year-old Australian Krystal Browitt the first person identified.
On Sunday, police also released the names of New Zealander Tipene Maangi and Australians Zoe Hosking, Gavin Dallow and Anthony Langford.
Lebanon protests continue as resigned PM expected to be given job back | World News
Violence in Lebanon has continued into a second day, with protesters and security forces clashing near the parliament in Beirut.
On Saturday night, security forces opened fire with rubber bullets on protesters in some of the worst violence since anti-government protests began in October.
Despite the fierce crackdown, protesters returned to the streets of the Lebanese capital on Sunday to demand a new, independent government head.
The unrest erupted two months ago fuelled by anger at the rising cost of living, new tax plans and the political establishment, which is accused of exploiting the state for their own benefit.
“We will not leave. They are the ones who looted the country. They are the ones who got us here. We want our rights,” said Nadine Farhat, 31, a lawyer who joined the protests on Sunday.
Riot police and security forces, deploying again in large numbers, fired water cannon at hundreds of demonstrators.
The weekend confrontations led to more than 130 people getting injured, although the Red Cross said none of them were seriously hurt and were treated on the spot.
Despite repeated calls for a new, independent head of state, it seems likely that the previously-resigned Saad al Hariri will be re-installed as prime minister.
Talks are set to take place on Monday between officials in the country, in the hope of bringing Mr al Hariri back to his former job.
Mr al Hariri quit as Lebanon’s prime minister on 29 October, amid the growing political tensions in the government and public calls for an end to corruption, inequality and sectarianism in the country.
Previous efforts to put a new prime minister in charge had stalled after rival political factions failed to agree on a new way forward.
An administration is urgently needed to tackle the crisis gripping the country, with foreign donors holding back financial support until there is a cabinet in place to carry out reforms.
Latest News6 days ago
Chile military transport plane ‘disappears’ with 38 people on board | World News
Latest News1 week ago
North Korea claims to have carried out ‘very important’ test at missile site | World News
Politics6 days ago
Democrat counsel Daniel Goldman says Trump’s actions are an ‘imminent threat’
Politics1 week ago
Could Republican senators turn on Trump?
Latest News1 week ago
Fire at New Delhi factory kills at least 32 people | World News
World1 week ago
Elon Musk not liable in Vern Unsworth ‘pedo guy’ defamation trial
Politics1 week ago
Nearly 700,000 will lose food stamps with USDA work requirement change
Politics1 week ago
‘Weary’ retiring Rep. Denny Heck says growing number in Congress no longer ‘believe in compromise’