Secret briefing notes accidentally shown by Donald Trump have revealed a US diplomat’s wife involved in a car crash that killed a British teenager will not be brought back to the UK for trial.
A card for the US president marked “secret” instructed Mr Trump to respond to a direct question about whether Anne Sacoolas would be returned to the UK to say she would not.
It said: “(If raised) Note, as Secretary Pompeo [the US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo] told [Foreign Secretary, Dominic] Raab, that the spouse of the US government employee will not return to the United Kingdom.”
A Washington Post photographer snapped a picture of the note held face up by the president during a press conference.
The president told reporters his team will speak to Mrs Sacoolas “very shortly” and discuss whether they can set up a meeting with the family of Harry Dunn, who was killed in a road accident in Northamptonshire on 27 August.
Police think Mrs Sacoolas pulled out on the wrong side of the road as she emerged from US spy base RAF Croughton, and collided with the 19-year-old as he rode his motorbike – causing fatal injuries.
Mrs Sacoolas, 42, had diplomatic immunity and returned to the US after the crash.
Another note on Mr Trump’s briefing page said: “(If raised) Note the spouse of the US government employee will have to consider, based on the advice of her legal counsel, whether to make herself available for questioning by British authorities.”
Speaking at the White House after a phone call with Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Mr Trump opted not to read from the notes and made his own reply.
He said: “It is a very complex issue, as you know. So a young man was killed. The person that was driving the automobile has diplomatic immunity.
“We’re going to speak to her very shortly and see if we can do something. It was an accident … We’re going to speak to her and see what we can come up with so there can be some healing.”
Mr Trump added: “The woman was driving on the wrong side of the road. That can happen… I won’t say it ever happened to me, but it but it did.”
Harry’s mother and father, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, have repeatedly said they want to see Mrs Sacoolas return from the US, and have expressed their “anger” over how the death of their son has been handled by the UK government.
Speaking to Sky News on Thursday about Mr Trump’s note, Mrs Charles said: “I don’t see the point in Boris Johnson talking to President Trump or President Trump even taking a call from Boris Johnson if he’d already made his decision.
“It’s just beyond any realm of human thinking.”
She believes Mr Trump knows where the diplomat’s wife is and urges him to send her to the UK.
Ms Charles and Mr Dunn met Mr Raab on Wednesday but said afterwards that the meeting had been a “publicity stunt” and they were “disgusted”.
Asked further about it on Thursday, Mrs Charles said she felt Mr Raab was “patronising” towards them.
“He gave us nothing we didn’t already know… We found it quite patronising, if I’m totally honest,” she said, adding that the minister “shut down” their spokesperson when he attempted to speak on their behalf when they got upset.
The Foreign Office insisted that the husband of Mrs Sacoolas was an accredited diplomat in the eyes of the British government, and therefore she was entitled to diplomatic immunity.
Mr Dunn, who will fly out to America with Harry’s mother shortly, says they want to talk to Mrs Sacoolas to hear what happened to help them get closure.
“You hear stuff from the police but I would like her to tell me whether she went to see Harry, did she get out the car and go and check on him. I need that for myself.”
He adds that he believes “her children must be suffering” from also being involved in the crash, which caused Harry to hit the car’s windscreen.
Mr Dunn said the president’s remark that driving on the wrong side “happens” was “almost a jokey remark. It’s quite strange. Yeah people may have done it, but that doesn’t mean they’ve killed somebody.”
The pair have become increasingly angry as now six weeks has passed since the crash.
Mr Dunn said: “If you had asked me four weeks ago, a meeting and an explanation would have been enough but because we have had no contact, or any letter, no inkling from the family or her that they are sorry I am struggling now to think that would be enough.”
Mrs Charles added that she would still be open to meeting with the diplomat’s wife, saying: “Anything, a grain of hope, would be of slight comfort now. However our anger has built a little bit considering we are now six weeks plus.”
They plan to recruit lawyers in the UK and the US with a view to possibly filing a civil claim against Mrs Sacoolas.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn called Mr Trump’s comments “completely unacceptable” and added: “If we could mount legal action in the US we would do so.”
Testosterone does boost women’s running ability, study finds amid Semenya debate | UK News
Women with higher levels of testosterone can run for significantly longer and have leaner muscles, a study has found, amid the debate over Caster Semenya’s future in athletics.
Women with more of the hormone took 21 seconds longer on average to reach the point of exhaustion when running, according to new research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
It comes after the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) ruled that trans female athletes must lower their levels of testosterone to compete in the female category.
World athletics’ governing body said athletes must now keep their levels of natural testosterone below five nanomoles per litre of blood in order to compete in women’s races.
The new regulation is the same as that which applies to athletes with differences of sexual development (DSD), including double Olympic champion runner Semenya.
The South African has high levels of testosterone due to a condition called hyperandrogenism.
She is challenging the IAAF’s rules that she and other athletes with DSD must take testosterone-reducing medication in order to compete in track events from 400m to the mile, or change to another distance.
In the study, experts led by the Karolinska Institute in Sweden said there was surprisingly little evidence on the effects of testosterone in women.
They took 48 healthy, physically-active women aged 18 to 35 and randomly split them into two groups.
For 10 weeks, one group applied 10mg of testosterone cream daily while the other group applied a placebo cream.
Hormone levels, weight and muscle mass were all assessed at the start of the trial, and again after 10 weeks.
The results showed that those women in the testosterone group were able to run on a treadmill for longer before reaching the point of exhaustion – by an average of 21.17 seconds – compared to those in the other group.
Testosterone also led to an increase in lean muscle mass, even though body weight did not change, according to the study.
The total change in lean muscle mass over the 10 weeks was 923g for the testosterone group compared to just 135g for the placebo group.
There were no differences between the groups in other tests such as cycling on an exercise bike or squat jumps.
The authors concluded: “The study supports a causal effect of testosterone in the increase in aerobic running time as well as lean mass in young, physically active women.
“Our results are therefore of great importance for the ongoing discussion of whether it is fair to allow athletes with naturally high testosterone to compete in the female category without reducing their hormonal concentration to the female range.”
Wildlife Photographer of the Year: The best images of 2019 | Ents & Arts News
An image of a stand-off between a Tibetan fox and a marmot has been named the winner of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
The photograph, taken by Chinese entrant Yongqing Bao, captures the two animals confronting each other in an apparent life-or-death scenario.
Titled The Moment, the image was taken on the alpine meadowland of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in China and shows the fox rushing towards its prey as the marmot reacts with its paw outstretched.
More than 48,000 people from 100 countries entered this year’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year awards, which is developed and produced by the Natural History Museum in London.
Chair of the judging panel, Roz Kidman Cox, says Yongqing’s image is “simply the perfect moment”.
“The expressive intensity of the postures holds you transfixed, and the thread of energy between the raised paws seems to hold the protagonists in perfect balance,” she said.
Natural History Museum director Sir Michael Dixon said it serves as a reminder to protect the world’s wildlife.
He said: “The area in which this was taken, often referred to as the ‘third pole’, because of the enormous water reserves held by its ice fields, is under threat from dramatic temperature rises like those seen in the Arctic. “
The award for Young Wildlife Photographer of the Year went to 14-year-old Cruz Erdmann for his picture of an iridescent bigfin reef squid captured on a night dive in the Lembeh Strait off North Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Cruz inherited his father’s old underwater camera and has been in love with the ocean from an early age.
He gained his diving certification at 10 years old.
Theo Bosboom, a nature photographer and member of the judging panel, said the image was a “resounding achievement” for the young photographer.
“To dive in the pitch dark, find this beautiful squid and to be able to photograph it so elegantly, to reveal its wonderful shapes and colours, takes so much skill,” he said.
Other shortlisted photographs include Luis Vilarino Lopez’s image of lava flows on one of the world’s most active volcanoes, Kilauea, on Hawaii’s Big Island, and Max Waugh’s picture of an American bison standing in a snow storm in Yellowstone National Park.
Another is Jasper Doest’s photograph of Riku, a Japanese macaque who performs comedy skits at the Nikko Saru Gundan theatre in Japan.
The photographs will be on display at the Natural History Museum from 18 October before touring across the UK and internationally.
Donald Trump ‘losing leverage’ in Syria after diplomatic U-turn | US News
President Trump’s goal to end “endless wars” and bring his troops home is laudable – who doesn’t want world peace?
But the confused way he’s attempted to achieve this in Syria could fundamentally reshape global alliances, while simultaneously breathing life into Islamic State.
Barely a week since Donald Trump flipped US foreign policy on its head:
- Kurdish forces, a key counter-terrorism ally, have sided with arch foe President Assad and Russia
- Iranian and Russian-backed Syrian regime forces are gaining ground in Syria as US and British special forces prepare to withdraw
- A Turkish cross-border offensive against the Kurds has killed hundreds and displaced hundreds of thousands
- Several Islamic State fighters and hundreds of IS supporters have escaped Kurdish-run detention camps
- The US has imposed sanctions on NATO ally Turkey
When it came, the handbrake U-turn in American strategy on the Middle East was a two-paragraph statement released by the White House on 6 October.
“Today, President Donald J Trump spoke with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey by telephone,” it read.
“Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into northern Syria.
“The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial ‘Caliphate,’ will no longer be in the immediate area.”
It is no secret that Mr Trump wanted to pull troops out of Syria – he had already tried and failed to do so last December, losing his highly-regarded defence secretary in the process.
That meant at least the shock of the announcement when it came a second time around had already been factored in and the ramifications gamed out by his military and security chiefs, as well as close allies such as Britain.
What left officials bemused was the curious way the decision emerged, following a telephone call seemingly initiated by the Turkish rather than the US side.
The president used a series of tweets to back up his move, saying it was time to pull US troops out of Syria because Islamic State’s so-called caliphate had been defeated.
He justifiably vented anger at the dereliction of duty by European countries – including Britain – to take charge of captured IS suspects who came from their respective states, instead letting them languish in a string of detention camps in northern Syria.
“It is time for us to get out of these ridiculous Endless Wars, many of them tribal, and bring our soldiers home,” Mr Trump wrote.
“WE WILL FIGHT WHEN IT IS IN OUR BENEFIT, AND FIGHT ONLY TO WIN. Turkey, Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds will now have to figure the situation out… We are 7,000 miles away and will crush ISIS again if they come anywhere near us!”
Then came a diplomatic wobble.
Hours after taking his dramatic decision on Syria, the president blinked.
An outburst of horror and anger from Republicans and Democrats alike appeared to prompt him to dilute his plan – evidence perhaps of an absence of understanding of the consequences of what he had by then already unleashed.
“If Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the economy of Turkey,” President Trump wrote on Twitter.
But he did not specify what off-limits meant.
I asked the Turkish ambassador to London whether he knew – he didn’t. Either way, the threat had no impact on Turkey.
Within 48 hours President Erdogan had begun his long-planned ground and air offensive across the border into northeastern Syria against the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces – a pivotal ally of the US, Britain and others in the years long fight against Islamic State.
A top Kurdish general warned the United States to halt the Turkish assault or else he would have no choice but to strike a deal, brokered by Russia, with the Assad regime to fend off Turkey.
On Sunday, with no US support forthcoming, the Kurds made good on their threat – a devastating move for all those who had fought the Syrian government since 2011.
Within hours, regime forces were moving back into parts of the north that had been off limits, in support of Kurdish fighters facing off against Turkey and its proxies.
A week after effectively making way for Turkey’s military action, the United States then imposed sanctions on Ankara.
France, Germany and other NATO members halted arms sales, while Britain too followed suit in a slightly more limited way.
These are significant steps to take against a NATO ally and could test the durability of an alliance that has been the cornerstone for European and US defence for 70 years.
What happens next in Syria is unclear.
President Erdogan’s gamble to continue his cross-border attack, despite world leaders urging him to stop, could spectacularly backfire if his forces end up clashing with the Russian military, also active on the ground and in the air in support of President Assad.
Russia and Turkey are supposed to be close allies.
The Turkish leader will doubtless be hoping some kind of deal can be struck between Ankara, Damascus, Moscow and Tehran that satisfies his demands for a secure border and perhaps unites the whole of Syria back under the regime.
The only certainty as things stand is that the United States is losing its leverage, losing its Kurdish allies and losing its ability to secure dozens of the most dangerous Islamic State fighters who are still being held by the Kurds.
Mr Trump had claimed that the US took charge of the worst of the militants, but as of Monday they had only actually transferred two British members of the IS “Beatles” – accused of killing Western hostages – to a secure facility in Iraq.
The long-term, wider, international implications of this past week are impossible to predict.
But if it signals the moment Turkey breaks with Europe and the United States to turn fully towards Russia, while President Assad regains control of his whole country, supported by Iran, then Western allies will be left marginalised, undermined and weaker.
They may also have to confront a newly revived terrorist threat if Islamic State is able to exploit the confusion to its advantage.
Latest News6 days ago
Scientist, 97, becomes oldest ever winner of Nobel Prize | Science & Tech News
Politics1 week ago
Intelligence community watchdog testifies in impeachment probe
Politics1 week ago
Heads in the sand! CBI condemned for ignoring no deal funding – ‘Woeful!’
World6 days ago
Hays Travel to buy Thomas Cook’s UK stores, government agency says
Politics1 week ago
Brexit charm offensive: Boris Johnson plots to steal Labour MPs for crunch Brexit vote
Politics1 week ago
October’s Democratic debate to feature biggest debate stage yet
Politics1 week ago
Lib Dems urged to sack MP who compared stopping Brexit with fighting Nazis
Politics1 week ago
GOP Sen. Johnson claims Trump has been ‘sabotaged’ since day one